Thursday 24 June 2010

'Who are those guys?'


I hadn't intended to revisit football. I was confident England would get through and I'd done my best to ignore the inevitable. The Germans. They're like the posse following Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.   You think you've shaken them off, life has given you a fresh start, an opportunity to go straight (to the final) and then they turn up. I thought Ghana were the ideal trap, a brilliant way to shake them off. I'm a poor deluded, helpless, hopeless English fool. No matter what we do, wherever we turn, they're always there, and you've got to admire that. As Butch says to Sundance in the movie
  'I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?' 

And we all know how it ends. For Butch and Sundance it was a hail of bullets in Bolivia and for us, if we outrun the Germans, it's Argentina. Argentina, Maradona....oh, bugger..



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails