Friday 18 June 2010

Same old same old.


I'm not surprised. I'm not disappointed. I am experiencing the 4 yearly penance and I'm giving myself a pat on the back for taking it in my stride. Wayne Rooney plays a whole half without ever controlling the ball, and then kicks off at the supporters. It had it all, and it's not over yet. We're still in with a chance of going through, as we usually are at this stage. Playing like drunk men on a beach, and yet still with it all to play for. I suppose a key component of torture is the psychological aspect, knowing what's going to happen and being unable to do anything about it. It's a unique and specifically English combination of hope and misery. The Germans probably have a word for it.


Which brings me on to Schadenfreude, something I was anticipating, had we managed to do the unexpected and beat a team who'd struggle to make the English Championship play-offs. Germany beaten, top goalscorer sent off, and penalty missed. Oh, how sweet it could have been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails