Sunday 27 June 2010

A right, true end.



There are so many things in the world to be interested in, and to enjoy. Music, film, great writing, the everyday beauties of nature, and life. I'm writing this while the English World Cup campaign for 2010 thrashes its way despairingly, like a beached whale, to an undignified and ugly death. It is painful to watch, not so much because the Germans have played well (I would have expected that) but because there is no joy, no spirit in the English team. David James is the only one who looks like he actually cares about the game. He's the only one who ever smiles. I'm past caring about what ails the rest of them. It's a game that can be beautiful, and fun. I don't mind losing. I do mind this bunch of petulant babies spitting their dummies so spectacularly. Whenever we've gone out of tournaments in the past it's been genuinely heartbreaking. This is just pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails