Thursday 27 January 2011

Them and us


Don't you just want to give them a slap? I know I do, and having watched Andrew Neil's documentary  this evening I think I have some justification. I realise I'm a grammar school boy from a working class home and that I can wear chips on my shoulders as stylishly as this shower show off their new romantic/Flashman fancy dress. I am also prepared to accept the possibility that if we actually did have a meritocracy some of them might still make it to the top on ability and aptitude, but the point is we'll never know. Their privilege, their money, their friends have guaranteed them their place at the top table. Let's start the campaign now for the UK's first comprehensive school educated Prime Minister. Can you imagine what an exceptional individual s/he will have to be to wrest power from these smug b'stards.

Then again, maybe politics is the haven for the greedy, the self-serving, the morally bankrupt. In which case these are clearly the (white)men for the job. I'm not a cynic, and I've worked with some incredibly gifted and resourceful young people over the years who, if they were given a fraction of the resources that this lot have had, could achieve so much. They have a wisdom and insight born of experiences that these guys could never really understand, and this country needs people in power who represent us all.


When I was younger politics always seemed more interesting when Dennis Skinner spoke up, and I really can't see anybody like him coming through now, and that's a crying shame. Maybe the student demos of the last few months could be the start of a more representative political class. I live in hope.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails