Wednesday 12 January 2011

Adrift


This picture is a still from the Powell and Pressburger film 'I Know Where I'm Going'. I don't, and a whirlpool seemed a good image for my thinking process at the moment. To my loyal readers, all 5 of you, I apologise. I've been living up to my pseudonym and spending a lot of time with my thoughts, going nowhere.

I've been thinking about, and as the year goes on I will write about


  • Learning Front Crawl
  • Looking up to my son
  • The joys of living in Chorlton cum Hardy
  • How to be middle-aged
  • and the rest...

I love the word melancholy. It has a musical cadence, and a complexity to the way that it looks and sounds that fits with its meaning. It's a kinder word than depression, a mood rather than a condition, and it comforts me when I use it as a label for the way that I have been. I've had a recent brush with Bell's Palsy, now almost cleared up, and our daughters have both gone back to their other homes after being home with us over Christmas, and I feel lucky and lost all at the same time. A bit like seeing a beautiful evening sky...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails