Sunday 19 September 2010

September catch-up


Summer's on its way out, and boxes full of new English apples are appearing at Unicorn, our local Vegan supermarket. Somewhere in August I lost my blogging Mojo, and I've decided that the only way to get it back is to write, write, write my way through the blockage.

The last post I wrote was in the week leading up to the Great North Swim. I was ill, I hadn't been able to practise and as the day drew nearer I was resigning myself to deferring. I didn't feel well enough to drive up to the Lakes, let alone dive into one. Then, on the Thursday evening, a text arrived announcing that the swim had been cancelled due to unsafe levels of blue green algae. I was able to defer to next year, and as my health returned I have picked up my swimming, and I've decided to make use of the practice and preparation by signing up for the Great Salford Swim, taking place at Salford Quays next Sunday. I  was apprehensive about this. After all, a converted dock on the Manchester Ship Canal doesn't sound as appealing as a beautiful lake in Cumbria. Anyway, yesterday I went to a training session in the dock with my wife and we swam 800 metres in our wetsuits at 7.30 in the morning. It was amazing. I know now that I'm going to do it, and I'm going to enjoy it.


The canal in the picture forms part of the course, joining the two dock basins that we swim around. I was amazed at the quality of the water, and I soon overcame my fears about putting my head under. I was able to get my breast stroke rhythm going, which was something else I was anxious about, as I'd been told that breast stroke is difficult when wearing a wetsuit. 

My aim now is to see if I can complete the course within an hour. I usually do a mile in the pool in about 53 minutes, so here's hoping. Roll on next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails